Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center
Welcome! Our team is proud to serve you.
Women who have served in the Armed Forces are eligible for a variety of Veterans benefits. VA actively encourages women to utilize the benefits due them. Every VA facility is committed to meeting the unique needs of Women Veterans by delivering the highest quality health care to each woman, while offering her the privacy, dignity, and sensitivity to gender specific needs that she deserves. Women covered by Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) may also be eligible for some services. You must be enrolled in the VA to receive services.
Women Veterans Clinic
The Louis A. Johnson VA Healthcare System Women's Clinic is located in a newly renovated clinic space on the first floor of the main facility in Clarksburg. The clinic offers a quiet, private and comfortable clinic setting with state of the art technology and diagnostic capabilities.
Clinic Location – Clarksburg VA Medical Center
First Floor – Suite 1109
Clinic Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
VA has responded to the growing number of women Veterans by developing a wide range of mental health services to meet their unique needs. Available services include psychological assessment and evaluation, outpatient individual and group psychotherapy, acute inpatient care and residential-based psychosocial rehabilitation. Specialty services target problems such as posttraumatic stress disorder, substance use problems, depression, and homelessness. To accommodate female Veterans who do not feel comfortable in mixed-gender treatment settings, many facilities throughout the VA have women-only programs or have established specialized women’s treatment teams. Nationally, VA also has over a dozen women-only residential and inpatient programs.
Our Women Veterans Program Manager advises and advocates for women Veterans. She can help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health. VA health care for women Veterans includes:
- General care includes health evaluation and counseling, disease prevention, nutrition counseling, weight control, smoking cessation, and substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as gender-specific primary care, such as cervical cancer screens (Pap smears), breast cancer screens (mammograms), birth control, preconception counseling, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, menopausal support (hormone replacement therapy).
- Mental health includes evaluation and assistance for issues such as depression, mood, and anxiety disorders; intimate partner and domestic violence; sexual trauma; elder abuse or neglect; parenting and anger management; marital, caregiver, or family-related stress; and post-deployment adjustment or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST). Women-and men as well-may experience repeated sexual harassment or sexual assault during their military service. Special services are available to women who have experienced MST. VA provides free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. More information is available about MST from the national Women Veterans Health Care program and the VHA Office of Mental Health.
- Management and screening of chronic conditions includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, glandular disorders, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Reproductive health care includes maternity care, infertility evaluation and limited treatment; sexual problems, tubal ligation, urinary incontinence, and others. VA is prohibited by legislative authority from providing either in-vitro fertilization or abortion services.
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care. VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy. Homebound and long-term care services are available as well, limited to those meeting specific requirements.